Monday, May 15, 2006

To the Least of These

"Jesus' call on us is, among other things, to serve the least of these, to care for the least of these. You can't do that in the abstract." ~Rose Marie Berger~

I have a friend of mine who does this every day as he works with the homeles of downtown Calgary at the drop in center. He teaches them, values them, cares for them, and helps them get on their feet again as he is able. He is serving the least of those among us, the ones our mayor calls a "blithe on society" when few others will.

I wish I was more like that.

I justify it by saying that I'm not wired that way but that's not right. I am wired that way if I'm wired to love like Jesus loves.

I understand that not everyone can stand in the gap for the homeless. Each of us has a role to play. I'm inspired by my friend though. Inspired to care more and to do what I can. I want to be more compassionate and loving. I want to be less cynical about the reasons the people that live on the street are in the situation they are. I want to, at the very least, consistently remember that they are not a blithe on society but that each one is a unique, God created individual who is loved by the king the same as I am. I may not be called to work in a shelter but I may be called to stand in the gap in other ways. Am I ready? Am I ready to love those around me inspite of circumstances, color, gender, financial status, or any other distinction that would make someone different from me? I want to love people the way that Jesus loves them and I want to learn to find ways to make it tangible. I want to love the "least of these" in my circle of influence.

I want to be wired that way.

No comments: