Monday, May 22, 2006

Loving the May Long Weekend

I love the long weekend in May. Not only does it bring three days off, it's the weekend for family camp at Pine Lake Christian Camp. It was a weekend that didn't disappoint.

It's funny, I avoided family camp for a long time because I always felt out of place because I don't have a family to go to and I didn't grow up going to Pine Lake. This year was my second year to go. I was wrong all those years - I do have family there. It's different. I still feel that I don't exactly fit and that I'm not I'm not part of the crowd but it's family none the less. I don't know how to describe it. Maybe this is like being an adopted part of the family and it takes some time to adjust. I don't know. I do know that every year I get to know a few people a little bit better.

Some highlights. Lots of Canasta games with Curt Lammiman for a partner...and winning. They say I can't call myself a rookie anymore. Steve McMillan sharing about "learning to speak words of life." All the little people. I love kids. There's a reason that Jesus tells us to come to him like a little child. Seriously, watching some of them sing the kids' songs at our worship times WAS a highlight. "hip, hip, hippopotamus..." Three women sleeping in a two man tent. Good food - thanks, Pappa Jim...mmm. Wonderful weather. I'm burned bright red but, man, was it beautiful! Visiting with all kinds of great people, young and old. Hours of baseball in the field...and winning. Highlights of the game could include Evan getting hit in the head thanks to Lane, Brad throwing his glove into Jason's midsection, Kevin Anderson's home run, Chad's antics at the pitching mound. Getting the reports that Edmonton won the first two games of the series against Aneheim - although if anything would have tempted me to stay away from camp it would have been knowing I was going to miss those two games. Seriously torn! Having a chance to relax, smile, and laugh. There really were a lot of good moments. Maybe this year I'll go to September's family camp too!

Part of what has "motivated" me to go to camp for the last two years is being asked to lead music for worship. I would have gone this year anyway but having a chance to serve made it even better. I was incredibly nervous going out. I just don't do it enough to be really comfortable, I guess. Here's the thing though. The minute I prayed with the team and stepped up to my keyboard, it was like I was exactly where I was supposed to be. I haven't felt that at ease about doing something like that in a long time. I think somewhere through the weekend, I was encouraged by almost every person there. It was like everything just worked - my voice, our team, my fingers on the keyboard, song choices - to bring people into His presence. He was clearly in that place. I'm amazed at how God seems to step in and work through our weaknesses at every turn and how He equips us for the things He desires for us to be a part of. I know He did both through me this weekend...and I am thankful. Plus, I had a great team...thanks guys!

One of the songs we sang was one that Steve suggested I use as a theme song for the weekend. I'm sure glad he did. It's amazing and in so many ways became my personal theme song for the weekend.

What Can I Do

V1. When I see the beauty of a sunset's glory
Amazing artistry a cross the evening sky
When I feel the mystery of a distant galaxy
It awes and humbles me to be loved by a God so high

Chorus. What can I do but thank you
What can I do but give my life to you
Hallelujah, Hallelujah
What can I do but praise you
Everyday make everything I do
A hallelujah, a hallelujah, hallelujah

V2. When I hear the story of a God of mercy
Who shared humanity and suffered by our side
Of the cross they nailed you to that could not hold you
Now you're making all things new by the power of your risen life

(go here to listen to "What Can I Do?" Paul Baloche. )

I have so much more that I could say and pictures that I probably should post but the season finale of 24 just started. I can't really think of a better way to finish off a long weekend than with Jack Bauer. Plus, let's be honest, I've probably written enough already.

No comments: