Thursday, May 18, 2006

Confessions of a smiling Oiler Fan

Yes indeed, I am a happy woman. Enough people have asked me how I feel today so I figured I might as well put it out there. After a 14 year "drought," us Edmonton fans have something to be excited about. Here's where the confession comes in. I still feel like I'm living in a bit of a surreal dream and each game I'm afraid I'm going to wake up. When they were down against San Jose 2 games to none, I was afraid I had! I mean, I remember the glory days in the '80's when we were a force to be reckoned with but I also remember years of disappointment. I will always love the boys in blue but sometimes it was sad. Even this season! We barely made the playoffs. Now look!!!

Scrappy, physical defense. So much so that San Jose players were afraid of playing Torres. At least that's what I read in an article yesterday. Ryan Smith throwing himself in front of pucks, leading the way for all sorts of players to do the same thing. Pronger throwing himself into players. I'd get out of the way if 44 was coming crashing into me! He's a big boy. Fast offence. Did anyone count the breakaways last night? That would be 7. That's right. Guys at the end of shifts still finding that last burst of speed. And the goaltending. Admittedly, that was one of our biggest problems for the last several seasons. I questioned Roloson in the regular season but the guy was a brick wall last night. Very impressive.

My confession is that when they made the playoffs, I didn't think I'd see this from them but I sure am happy about it. Apparently there's other Edmonton fans feeling the same way.

Did anyone see the signs that the fans at home were holding up? Things like 'sharks drown in Oil' and my personal favorite, 'the chee choo train has been derailed.' Love it.

I can't wait to see what they do against the Ducks!

2 comments:

Dave said...

It's been along time since I have been this pleasantly surprised by my Oilers. But I ain't complaining.

As for the Ducks... have you ever seen a duck try to fly after being doused in OIL - me neither but I can't imagine it being pretty.

Stacey Sparshu Miller said...

You're right, I don't think it would be all that pretty...and that's what I'm hoping for...deep fried duck for dinner anyone?