Tuesday, January 01, 2013

Current Read

It's been a while since I've posted my reads but that doesn't mean I haven't been hiding in worlds created in the imagination of another and shared on pages in black and white. I swear that books are one of the things that are saving my soul. Truthfully, I didn't think it was for anything other than for me that I kept these posts but, in their absence, there have been those of you that have actually asked what I've been reading. Who knew?! And so, we're back...

Current Read



















Past Reads (in order from most recent to least)
 

I loved, loved, loved this book. Somehow it resonated with my church raised, Jesus loving, feminine soul. Rachel takes a look at so many of the subtle and not so subtle things that church people teach about women and call "biblical." Unlike so many other books on the topic of biblical womanhood, Rachel does it without pointing fingers, without attacking and with a good deal of tongue-in-cheek humor, poking fun at herself in the process. It is light-hearted and thoughtful. Conversational and well-educated. 


Like the first two, this one was just fun. I'd love to see a fourth! 


This one was a bit of a divergence from my typical reads but came highly recommended. It truly is a book for book-lovers. It's a story about a writer chronicling the life story of a writer. It's a story about family. It's a story about how the events of life shape and create life. It's a sad story and a hopeful story all at once. I'm glad I took the break from "the usual" to enjoy. 
 

This one felt like an add on. Same characters, different story line and style. Still adventure. Still a good place to "hide" for a while.


I enjoyed the first one with these characters so much I couldn't help but dive into this one. I don't know what it is about this time period and these places that entertains me so much but it does. I appreciate the way that Khoury can bring together two stories, one new and one old, in such a balanced way. Combine it with some intrigue, terrorism and plain old action/adventure and I'm good to go!



All I have to say is that the next book in this YA series just can't come fast enough. 


All of the other Robin Hobb series I've read to date have been in trilogies so imagine my surprise when I finished this one and realized the story wasn't over. At least one more to come. Sometime in 2013. Not even fair. The problem with a well written book and following characters over a number of books is that I need to know what happens to the dragons, to the dragon keepers and to the dragon city. Blood of Dragons is coming. I don't think I'll be able to wait for the soft cover.

No comments: