Wednesday, January 10, 2007

The God-man Equilibrium...is there such a thing?

As I counsel students in making life decisions and personally go through the process, I often come up against questions about God's involvement.

How much does he have planned? How much of what we do (vs. who we are) is he really concerned with? Does he have one plan for me? How much is he going to show me? How much do I have to find out on my own or decide on my own? What is my role in the thing? I don't think it's a matter of balance. It is definitely a dynamic relationship and yes, we do have a role to play. I can't sit back and expect God to run the show or expect God to live by the Nike slogan, "just do it." Neither can I just jump in and move ahead on my own. There's something about trust and seeking His guidance. Oh the dilemma.
In reality, the question is probably something like "at what point does God give up His sovereignty so that we can have free will?"

Recently, I read this:

Go over this Jordan...to the land which I am giving...Every place that the sole of your foot will tread upon I have given you.
Joshua 1:2-3

The promise is pregnant with divine possibility, yet integrated with human responsibility. Clearly the Lord was saying to Joshua (1) He had already gone before with a plan and by His power, but (2) the "possessing" was Joshua's part: "Reach out, and take it." God knew what Joshua's tomorrow would hold, but He made Joshua responsible to stride out - to possess the tomorrows of divine promise. (Taking Hold of Tomorrow)

Where in all of this, then, is the God-man equilibrium? Where is the place that we meet? How do we know?

Next question:"How does God speak and how do we expect the working of the Holy Spirit in our lives?"

3 comments:

Tim Kantel said...

I've spent most of my day today writing long e-mails to prospects dealing with this subject Stacey. As a Recruiter we need to present the case for our school rationally and from all sides but at the same time tell the student to be looking for God's will in the midst of it all.

This is something that sermons upon sermons could be written on but I tend to follow the philosophy that we kind of work in step with God as we go through our journey. Sometimes we wait for His voice and then move. Sometimes we head out and listen on the way. Sometimes we look for open/closed doors. In the end I do think God requires action in some part from us. What that looks like can maybe be different depending on the person.

Just some thoughts during my brain break from many long e-mails.

Dayna Chu said...

I like what you said about it not being about balance. I think balance is highly overrated, especially in the life of a Christian. Did Jesus live a "balanced" life? On the other hand, I do think that balance can and should be seasonal... a time to rest and a time to work. An especially good example of this is the life of a student... or what I think I am about to find out... the life of a professional-about-to-become-mom?!

Stephen said...

Sometimes I don't really feel qualified to speak to questions like this. I mean who am I to know how God works? But here goes...

I used to hold fast to the idea that God works best with a moving target. I think that I believed this because I am a mover and generally have a hard time not doing something, anything. It is only with great difficulty that I can sit through a full 2 hour movie. Or if I have an idea I want to follow through with it NOW. So this is a case where my belief was more to complement my personality. I've accepted this as a mistake.

There is a place for us to wait on God for Him to guide us in His plan. But there are also times when we need to act out in faith. Israel spent years waiting for the Messiah and could do nothing to enact that reality, but once Jesus came the time for waiting was done. When God want's action we best be prepared to move. Unfortunately we don't always know when action time is.

Maybe the one comfort that I find is in constantly reaffirming in my life what Joshua told Israel at the end of the book; "Choose this day whom you will serve, but as for me and my house we will serve the LORD."

That's me...