Monday, January 29, 2007

Breakforth 2007

This past weekend I went to Breakforth Canada in Edmonton to represent the ABC. It was a full weekend - the biggest conference ever hosted in the Shaw Center! Here are a few highlights:
  • spending time with some great friends: Tim, Robert, Sheryl, Jon, and several other college recruiters. Talking with my mom this weekend, I pointed out that these are some of my closest friends. We spend so much intense time together when travelling on the Christian College and University Fairs that we get to know each other pretty well...and spending time with good friends like that is always fun! And I loved the WokBox!
  • Casting Crowns. Not only are they good musicians, but Mark Hall, the lead singer and a youth pastor, shared some great words. It was more than a concert. It was a worship time/teaching time/refreshing time.
  • Tony time...at least that's what we dubbed the session with Tony Campolo. Not only did those of us recruiters that went have a good time of fellowship and worship, the words that Tony shared couldn't have been more well timed. He spoke, essentially, about the greatness of the children of God when they are filled in the Spirit. "There is therefore no condemnation." He looked at the things that we can do as children of God, the things we should do, in the world around us. The statement that stuck with me the most is this: "How can you claim to love the God you cannot see if you cannot love the needy around you that you do see." Hmmmm....
  • Robin Mark. Not only is he a passionate worship leader and musician, he's got a great accent!
  • Losing my voice. Not necessarily a highlight, but worth mentioning. First of all, I sound funny! Second of all, talk about humbling. My job is to talk and here I was not able to. I guess that's when you have to get creative. At time of worship through song, I could not sing and yet I was able to find a voice to worship with.
  • Last but not least, staying with my family. I love opportunities to see them, even if it is only briefly...and even if they do make fun of me when I sound funny 'cause I've lost my voice. Love my family!

See...a full weekend. Now to go get some rest and see if I can get my voice back!

3 comments:

Tim Kantel said...

Sounds like fun!

I'm off to an event this weekend that I'm pretty sure Bryan will be at. There's one other school but I'm not sure who.

I've played at a few conferences over the years that Tony C has spoken at. He's great!

I've heard Robin Mark too and actually got to sit in with a group of about 15 or so one day and listen to him do some teaching on worship. Memorable event. Having lots of Irish blood in me I know what you mean about the accent. We'd all sound a lot cooler wouldn't we if we could talk like that?

Anonymous said...

Robin Mark does a great job leading worship. I was less than inspired with his Friday afternoon workshop. The Irish dialect is entertaining but that was his only saving grace there. Next year I'll just take in the worship with the great worship leaders. I did, however, learn some things in the sessions led by Bob Fitts and Brian Doerksen.

John Smith

John Smith

Sheryl said...

Stacey, I know what you mean about recruiters and friends! While talking to Jon the first day he was telling me about all his travels and ended with "I don't have friends anymore"... I admit, I can relate. Thanks for being a good friend and coming over to visit my booth even though I was really far away!