Tuesday, September 26, 2006

What's entertaining?

So I've been thinking about this for a while as I look for things to do and look for things that are fun. What's entertaining? If a group of twenty-some things are planning to get together, what do they do?

I enjoy a good cup of coffee and a visit. Movies are good on occasion - when there's something playing and you really don't feel like being chatty-sociable but like to be with other people, out and about. I've got a couple of friends that enjoy playing games which has been fun. Scrabble, Trivial Pursuit and Tribond have been some of our recent adventures. Going out for dinner once and a while is fun. A good wander in Chapters is always fun too.

How about when I'm on my own? The TV is on for company quite often (my list of "friends" is in a previous post). I'll read. Perhaps I'll blog or see what other distractions the internet can provide. Occasionally I'll cook, play with photography or something else artistic.

Typically though, its about being entertained. About something keeping me preoccupied. About some form of technology.

I've been struggling with this lately and I'm curious what it's all about. When I was growing up on the farm, it seemed easy to find something to do to entertain ourselves. I say seemed because it was a different time and a different place but it did. There's no hay bales to climb on in the city - at least none that I know of. Bike rides are different and can you see the stars in the city? Do they even exist? Why did it seem easier to come up with things to do, particularity things that didn't cost money and were just plain inventive?

What is there to do for fun?

When did I lose the ability to think of my own fun?

Here's what I mean. A friend of mine came in to the city for the evening on Saturday. We had no idea what to do. None of the old stand by options held any appeal. There were no good movies playing at the theatre. We didn't want to go to the mall since there's far too much risk to spend money there. We ended up having a nice dinner and conversation, renting a movie and going back to my place. While that was good (I especially love the conversation part!), I wonder what it is that keeps us from knowing what to do in the company of others? When did we forget about good and fun? How is our community so falsely shaped that the "mundane" of life isn't worth doing together? What is there to do in this city anyway?

I know there's probably people with young kids that actually wish they had the time to be asking this question! Truthfully, I bet they face it too. Let's just say that someone offered to take those kids for an afternoon, what would they do? Go to a movie? Go the mall? I wouldn't be surprised if grocery shopping or paying bills ended up on the list.

Seriously, I'm wondering where there's creativity in the whole thing and when mine disappeared!

I joke that I don't get out much. That's not necessarily it but I do want to get out well if that makes any sense. I want to enjoy life with the people around me and I've got this sneaking suspicion that life is more than the movies played or the displays in the mall. Yes, it's a part of it and I'll admit I love both BUT I'm convinced there's more. I just need to figure it out. I want to be able to use my mind in different ways than what its used at work. I think that's freeing too (Trivial Pursuit can be fun, folks, as long as you avoid the American history...unless of course you're American). Being creative together. Fun!

But how!?

Perhaps someone can share some ideas that will inspire something new. Perhaps we should even do a gridblog on this sometime! Anyway...

Speaking of entertainment, know what day it is? Tuesday. Chris Tomlin CD release day. And guess what!? I can't go pick it up until tomorrow. After all that!? Arg.

Know what else? I finally entered the world of the ipod. Yes, I know, congratulations are in order. I picked up my ipod nano yesterday and spent the evening playing with music and podcasts so that it was ready to rock 'n roll (yes, the pun was intended).

See what I mean...it's all about technology.

1 comment:

John, Angie and the kiddos said...

We're thinking about getting an ipod, too. Next maybe we'll go crazy and buy a cell phone, which I hear is pretty popular!
As far as entertainment goes- I started a pottery class that I'm loving. That's not being entertained, is it?
Ang