Tuesday, April 18, 2006

What do I want to be when I grow up?

This is no longer a question just for 5 year olds...or the college students I work with. This is legitimately my question lately. Let me tell you, it's a lot easier to figure this out for someone else!!

I told my sister this weekend (in a rather random moment) that I want to be a race car driver when I grow up. I do...kind of. The bigger question is what do I really want to be when I grow up?

Here's some of the things that have been making me ask this:
  1. Having a head on collision with the farm girl in me this weekend. Do I ever miss the wide open spaces, playing in the dirt, work hard for what you do, have pets in the backyard without worrying about what they shed in the carpet kind of life! What kind of job can I do that would bring me back to that?!
  2. Realizing that my 10 year high school reunion is just around the corner and wondering what I've done with those 10 years as compared to my classmates. I don't want to have wasted 10 years and I definitely don't want to set myself up for wasting another 10!!
  3. The knowledge that this job won't last me forever. Eventually I'm going to get old (yikes!) and there will come a time when high school students won't be drawn to me or want to take my advice and college students won't want to hang out with me. What do I do then!!??
  4. Finances...a girl can't live this close to broke forever!
  5. A sense of "holy discontent," as I call it, about where I'm currently at. I'm just feeling a general restlessness that leads me to believe that there is something more for me, that something needs to change. I feel like there's better ways for me to use more of my gifts. I believe that there are more things for me to serve in and more learning for me to do. I believe that change is good and godly (that's why it's holy discontent). That said, maybe it's not a change of outward position but of my heart's position.

So here's the thing. I'm ready for God to do something new in my life. I'm ready for change. If it means going back to school, I'm ready to go back to school. I'm ready to take another step toward being what I'm supposed to be when I grow up - an that's not just job stuff!! I want to figure out what it is that I enjoy and, even more, what I'm truly passionate about. I'm not sure what that looks like but I'm trusting that God will open my eyes to the next step on this path...and keep impatient me from getting too frustrated along the way!!

No comments: