Thursday, July 19, 2012

I'm not a morning person by nature. If I could, I would stay up late and sleep in.

Unfortunately, the rest of the world doesn't work that way.

Fortunately, my body adapts.

I'm now much more able to get up at 4 to go to work early and, as long as I have a quick shower, function quite normally. Weird, I know. My normal schedule, if someone working on call can ever have a normal schedule, has me up early and to bed early. It's taken discipline but the internal rhythms of my body have shifted to adjust to the necessities of work and play, so much so, that sleeping in on the weekend is difficult.

Here's the catch. This week my work schedule switched. Instead of early mornings and evenings to share with my family, I'm working nights.

I don't like it.

My body doesn't like it.

My heart doesn't like it.

Oh, to be reminded that I am such a creature of habit, grasping at any bit of routine I can in this crazy life. Cherishing evenings in the back yard with my husband. And sleep. I already miss sleep. I worked till 11 last night. There's unwind time when I get home (much to the chagrin of my poor husband who had to be up at 4:30!). At 6:45 this morning, the road crew was working in our back alley. The world around me wakes up regardless of whether I am ready for it and off we go again. I'm not good at relaxing in the morning - I feel like if everyone else is at work, I should be accomplishing something too. Never mind that when I'm at work, the rest of the world will be relaxing. My bad.

The view last night as I was leaving work.
I think if I did it on a regular basis, I would adjust, we would adjust but I can't help but wonder if long term it would be healthy for my body or our marriage. In the meantime, I know it's only a few weeks. There will be some morning shifts scattered in there. We'll make it. I'll enjoy morning coffee without the rush and hustle. I'll enjoy quiet mornings at my house by myself. I might get some things (read dishes, laundry and errands...ug) done. I'll go to yoga. And then I'll go to work. And I'll try to be quiet when I get home tonight so my poor husband can get some sleep.


No comments: