Friday, October 06, 2006

Gridblog: Thanksgiving

So I mentioned in an earlier post about my mixed feelings about Thanksgiving - I'm thankful for a day set aside but I'm saddened that we need to set a day aside in order to be thankful. Does that make sense? Anyway, I've faced this reality in my life. Over the summer, I made a commitment to myself to find at least one thing to be intentionally, deliberatly, thoughtfully thankful for every day. My confession is that it has been a hard thing to do consistently. It's not even just the hard days that it's difficult but the good days and the in between days. It's just hard to take the time and remember that I'm not in control, I am thankful and choose to recognize the Giver of Good Gifts. So I'm thankful for a day to stop and be thankful and again choose to be more intentional in every day. For this thanksgiving, I'm thankful for (in no particular order):


  • my family - that we like eachother, that we're all still on this earth and can spend time together, for the support and care we provide for each other and for continued health in the midst of struggles. After the year our family has had, it's hard to take this for granted
  • for Jesus and the life that He bought for me by His death
  • for opportunities to partner with Him in restoring the kingdom
  • for the gifts and talents He has given me and for opportunities to put them to use
  • for my church family and for the risks we have with starting a new church community
  • for the students at ABC - it's amazing how intwined our lives have become. They grow on a person...kind of like mold...the penicillin producing, good kind
  • for my coworkers at the college and the team that's building
  • for good friends
  • for a great roommate and a beautiful home to share
  • for hope 'cause even when things are crappy, there's something to look forward to
  • for music...ah music
  • and for silence
  • for the great outdoors and the chances to get away from the city to be in it
  • for sports
  • for good books
  • for children
  • for a country that's not at war (and I pray for those that are)
  • for the freedom to speak freely
  • for summer, for the sun and for warmth (I hate the cold) and for a fireplace in the winter
  • for coffee
  • for food in general, let's be honest
  • for technology that makes staying in touch a little easier
  • for creativity
  • for my car
  • that God's in control
  • that I'm not...and that I'm learning to accept that
  • for having so many things to be thankful for
  • for chocolate
  • and that Edmonton beat Calgary last night. I love Roli the Goalie!

No comments: