Sunday, July 16, 2006

God still answers prayer

Let me recap the last couple months as far as my housing situation is concerned...November, my last roommate moves out. Scary! Finances. Double scary! May, my landlord calls and says he's raising my rent. Really scary! Note the rising housing cost in Calgary for both buying and renting. Down right frightening!

Through it all, I've been trying really hard not to panic but to trust that God has a plan. I have to confess that there were moments of panic but I don't have to panic anymore! God has stepped in and done something amazing yet again.

I was having one of my moments of panic. I was realizing that if I was going to get this move done, I would have to give notice for August 1st with my July rent. I was making plans to be on the road for work for most of July which would make looking for a place really difficult. Plus, I hadn't really figured out how I was going to be able to do this financially considering the housing market, particularily without a roommate. I could not see how it was going to all fit together. I'm a planner (a trait that some might call control freak but I prefer to take the positive spin on it). I was trying to sort out my options and come up with plan A, B, and C but felt like I was getting no where. A friend of mine called me up at work that afternoon. That phone call was a gift from God. We were talking through the options I had figured out and he was so encouraging! I got off the phone feeling better but it was then that a passage from Matthew 6 hit me:

25"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? 26Look at the sparrows; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life[b]?
28"And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? 31So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' 32For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.


Okay, so I'm a farm kid. I hate the sparrows. They're dumb birds. A plain old nusance, actually, BUT if God takes care of them that carefully, how much better off am I? I am in good hands.

And so there was peace. I mean, real rest. There was a situation to deal with but it was going to be okay...somehow.

Well, that somehow didn't take too long to reveal itself. Remember, this little revelation was on Thursday. On Friday, I spent some time with a girl I'm just getting to know, Heather McMillan. She is connected to a lot of people I know and love...and they know and love her. In fact, several of them had mentioned her as a possible roommate. The minute she sat down beside me, we started talking like we'd known each other much longer and much better. It was great! As it turns out, by the following Monday, we'd decided to live together. She'd even offered to start looking for places while I was gone! A God send...seriously!

So the first week of July, I was out for work at a camp on Pine Lake by Red Deer. I got a call from Heather on my cell phone on Sunday about a place she'd looked at. We decided, after some chatting, not to put an application in. It was weird but neither of us felt right about it. Then, on Tuesday, she went and looked at another one. She loved it and put an app in right away...and we got it! I saw it on the day we signed papers and couldn't be happier with her pick! She did well!

We have a home!!!!

It's a two bedroom townhouse in south Calgary, almost right across from Spruce Meadows riding facility. I know, it's super far south but that's perfect for the church plant, Journey, that I'm involved in. It's far from work but maybe that's a good thing. Anyway, it's in great shape. The community looks great and new. There's lots of stuff around...even a walmart which should make my momma happy. It has a fireplace, bright windows, a garage and even a wee little bit of green space. And get this, it has a dishwasher...and it's not me!!! Whoo hoo!

Once again, God provides above and beyond what we could have expected.

I'm planning to move on July 28th. That just means some crazy packing in the mean time...and lots of praising God for taking care of one of his kids once again.

Bring on the boxes...

No comments: