Wednesday, December 06, 2006

The Moose is Loose

If you understand the title of this post, you're either old (just face it head on) or an avid Edmonton hockey fan.

Here's what I found out today:

The Edmonton Oilers announced today that Mark Messier’s #11 will be raised to the rafters of Rexall Place on Tuesday, February 27th, joining the retired numbers of teammates Wayne Gretzky, Jari Kurri, Grant Fuhr, Paul Coffey and Al Hamilton. This signature Oilers event, which is presented by Rexall in association with Cold-FX, will celebrate Messier’s stellar NHL career on a night when another Oilers legend, Wayne Gretzky, brings his Phoenix Coyotes to town.

Mark Messier wrapped up a spectacular 25-season NHL career with 6 Stanley Cups, 1 Conn Smythe Trophy, 2 Hart Trophy’s, 2 Lester B. Pearson Awards, and a lengthy list of hockey achievements. Messier ranks second on the NHL’s all-time scoring list with 1,887 points, seventh in goals with 694, third in assists with 1,193, and second in games played with 1,756.As an Edmonton Oiler, Messier is the fourth highest career scorer for the team, amassing 392 goals and 642 assists for 1,034 points in 851 games played. He was selected 48th overall in the third round of the 1979 NHL entry draft by the Edmonton Oilers, and was a major contributor in all five of the Oilers Stanley Cup Championships in 1984, 1985, 1987, 1988 and 1990.

“I’m honored that the Oilers will be raising my number to the rafters of Rexall Place, alongside some of my best friends and teammates,” said Mark Messier. “I have so many good memories of my time in Edmonton, and was part of an incredible hockey dynasty. I look forward to coming home and sharing this great experience with my family, friends, and the fans.”

“I have believed for some time now that the Oilers had a group of outstanding players during what was a very unique period in the history of the NHL. But there were two players who had a reverberating impact, which is still felt today,” said Kevin Lowe, General Manager of the Edmonton Oilers. “Wayne Gretzky for his unbelievable artistry and significant game changing style, and Mark Messier who epitomized the words fierce, leadership, and competitor every single day, and especially when he stepped on the ice. I continue to believe two things about Mark Messier - and we went through a great deal together, arriving in Edmonton as boys and remaining friends all these years later. His impact lingers every day in the Oilers dressing room. The spirit of Mark is etched there forever. That same impact is also prevalent in the NHL. The spirit of what Mark Messier brought to the game, stays in the game.”

Congrats to the Moose and thanks for the glory years...it's why I'm an Edmonton fan today!

2 comments:

Tim Kantel said...

Excuse me while I come to grips with how old I am......

Ok now that I'm over that...one thing that stood out for me in that press release was how amazing his stats were and he was still just the fourth highest career scorer for the team. The Oilers of that era were simply amazing to watch. I honestly don't think we'll ever see anything like that again since the game is so different now.

Nice trip down memory lane...

Stacey Sparshu Miller said...

And this is why I'm an Edmonton fan...always was, always will be!