Thursday, December 21, 2006

Every Good and Perfect Gift


Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.
James 1:17


I've gone through and 'analyzed' my five love languages many times but not until now have I really considered the giving of gifts as one of mine...until this Christmas. I guess it helps to really pay attention to why you do what you do! One of my favorite things about Christmas is giving good gifts: thinking about the character of the people, picking out something especially suited for them (not necessarily the shopping part although the Christmas atmosphere of the malls really doesn't bother me) and then giving it to them. I guess I've ignored that part of me because I don't want to admit how much I appreciate gifts-both giving and receiving -because in so many ways it seems too selfish.

This year, though, with Christmas only three days away, I've been reminded of the blessing of being on the receiving end of good gifts...good and perfect gifts from the Father above. This year it's more than the typical Christmas thoughts on gifts and giving. This year my family has much to be thankful for.

Amidst all of the 'normal' stress of life, this last week has been exceptionally difficult for my family. First, my grandma, the anchor of our family in many ways, went in for open heart surgery. At 80, it's even rare that they would do such a surgery. It was only because of her incredibly positive spirit that doctors would even consider it. And she is feisty! So far so good, she's come through surgery and is working through the healing process...and we are thankful.

That same day, my grandfather got to my parents' place to find that my dad, working on putting in the ceiling of the new shop, had fallen 12 feet off the scaffolding he was working on and landed on his head - an accident that should have left him dead. After a number of frightening hours, a rushed ambulance trip and a Stars ambulance flight, the neurologist was able to confirm that there was no brain damage; some bruising, swelling, memory loss and aches and pains but all of those will heal...and we are thankful.

In all of these Christmas miracles, as if they weren't enough, I was struck by two things.

First, the blessing of our extended family. We may be a ragtag redneck bunch but we are pretty special to each other and we make sure that it's known. In the midst of tough stuff, no one could ask for a better family than mine!

Most of all, I was the peace that God brings to those who draw near to him. Peace. Every good and perfect gift. From the Prince of Peace.

No comments: