Thursday, June 01, 2006

YC in hindsight

Okay, so everybody keeps asking me about YC. I might as well just write it all down and get it out there!

It was ok. Yes, just ok. I was a little disappointed with the speaker's sessions. I felt that they were more showy than the concerts and was concerned at the impression of being followers of Christ that the students were getting. I don't like to be critical about stuff like that but let's just say the theology was a little sketchy. Can I say that? I feel like as the "grown up" in the crowd I should be the supportive one but, man, it was just sketchy! I've said it now. That's how I felt. Deal with it.

That sort of clouded my weekend I think BUT it gave me opportunity to feel totally okay about skipping out on the Saturday night session to catch a rather important hockey game. Here's the irony of it all; I'm sitting in the parking lot of Rexall place, home of my Edmonton Oilers, and listening to the game on the radio in my car. You've got to be kidding me!!! Even so, there was a ton of energy. Horns blasting when they won, even after playing the last couple minutes 6 on 3. Talk about some stress for this fan (the 6 on 3 hockey, not the horns)! And no, I wasn't involved in lighting the fires or hanging off trees on Whyte Ave although I think it would have been an adventure! All weekend long, artists and students were cheering on the Oilers. It was really cool to hear "let's go Oilers" being chanted in the stands in any pause in the activity of the weekend. Ah, so good to be around people with good taste! So good to cheer for a winning team. After a 14 year wait, it's good to be going on to the Stanley Cup playoffs for the 7th time in their 27 year history (side note: On Saturday, I'll be as old as the Oilers!!The team, not the players. Most of the players are younger than me. Crazy, huh!?).

The view of Rexall from my car where I listened to the game!



I wasn't going to write about hockey but about YC so let's get back to it. Highlights other than Edmonton winning:

  • seeing the Panic Squad perform. They're funny, perhaps even funnier, every time I see them. Seriously, everyone needs to see them perform at least once in their life, I think. Plus, I just love the guys so much so it was great to visit with them!
  • Hanging out with my recruiter friends from around the country. I realized that that is one of the greatest blessings of my job is my good friends. I may not see them often but I've learned to love them all dearly. Perhaps it's that we share so much and can understand the frustrations of the lives we're living as recruiters that we bond so quickly. It's just like family!

  • Chris Tomlin. Seriously amazing. What else do I say but that? It was awesome to hear him sing the songs that I listen to on CD in my car - plus he sang some new ones. Yes indeed, the next CD promises to be another winner! When he sat down at the piano for "How Great is our God" my jaw nearly hit the floor. Goosebumps on this piano player! I want to be that talented!! (Adrian figured we should find out if Mr. Tomlin is married considering the way I reacted except that he's really short!) And then, when he finished it with "How Great Thou Art" I nearly cried. Gah! One of the best things about his whole show was that it didn't feel like a show. There were times where he'd just step away from the mic and let the crowd sing the songs...and they did. 16000 people singing away. Awesome. That's how he finished too. Here's 16000 people singing the chorus of "How Great Thou Art" with Chris Tomlin playing piano. He stops playing. Then he stops singing. Then him and the band walk away. The rest of the people keep singing. It was one of the most holy moments of the weekend, I think. I look forward to hearing the heavenly choir - and to being a part of it - one day 'cause it will only be better.
  • TFK. Just fun. As far as concerts go, it was just a fun show. Phenomena.

No comments: